a d v e r t i s e m e n t
a d v e r t i s e m e n t
Our fellow human beings are exploring farthest depths of space and creating Artificial Intelligence which is competing with humans. With so much progess, are you up to date with the latest in the fields of science and technology. Let’s find out through this quiz.
Physicists at the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) made the second-ever observation of gravitational waves. What triggered the pulse?
- Two black holes colliding
- Two neutron stars merging
- Two stars going supernova
- An explosion in a dilithium mine on Ceti Alpha 6
In another region of space, an Earth-like planet was found this year orbiting our nearest stellar neighbor. Who is that neighbor?
- Proxima Centauri
- Beta Taco
Back on Earth, scientists discovered that chimpanzees, bonobos, and orangutans may share this very special trait with humans:
- The ability to bake bread
- The ability to make metal tools
- The ability to “read minds”
- The ability to use Snapchat
Genomic studies all but proved that most people living outside Africa descended from this many “waves” of migrants:
In another major breakthrough, scientists created a designer suite of these molecules from scratch:
- Nucleic acids
Scientists created something last year: babies born from egg cells grown entirely in a lab. What species did the egg cells come from?
Several studies this year revealed a relatively simple way to extend life span. What is it?
- Capping DNA telomeres
- Selectively killing old cells
- Injecting stem cells into spinal fluid
- Making a vision board
Google’s artificial intelligence program AlphaGo beat world champion Lee Sedol in a man-versus-machine match of what game?
A pocket-sized version of this machine is revolutionizing biology:
- Electroencephalography machines
- MRI machines
- Faraday cages
- DNA sequencers
Why did blue whales grow to such monstrous sizes?
- To fend off megapredators
- To store massive amounts of oxygen for diving
- To amplify their long-distance love songs
- To exploit an ice age explosion of krill
Last year, a new study revealed what surprising fact about hospital-acquired infections?
- Most come from hospital sinks
- Most come from patients themselves
- Most are impervious to hand sanitizers
- Most can be cured by enzymes in mouse saliva
Over the last 25 years, insect populations in some parts of Germany have dropped by nearly:
NASA found molecular hydrogen – a key ingredient for life as we know it – on which of our solar system’s moons?
Scientists now suspect that almost half a million years ago, ice age waterfalls cut off this current island from the rest of its continent:
- Great Britain
A new study shows that artificial intelligence (AI) has become more like humans in this way:
- It can accurately interpret body language
- It can “forget” birthdays and anniversaries
- It can pretend to agree with programmers
- It can buy into stereotypes